Texas Instruments (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) introduces the next-generation SimpleLink™ SensorTag, a new development kit that enables easy and quick integration of sensor data with wireless cloud connectivity. The new SensorTags jump start development for the Internet of Things (IoT) through features including:
- Flexible development with multiple wireless connectivity options including Bluetooth® low energy, 6LoWPAN and ZigBee® available today based on the SimpleLink ultra-low power CC2650 wireless microcontroller (MCU)
- 10 integrated low-power sensors with the industry’s lowest power consumption for multi-year battery life
- New DevPack plug-in modules that extend the kits’ functionality and programmability
- Out of the box capabilities with a free iOS or Android app, no programming experience is required to get started
- Connect to the cloud in less than three minutes through TI’s IoT cloud ecosystem including IBM’s Bluemix IoT Foundation
- Available TI Design reference designs, including 3D print files of the SensorTag enclosures, that allow reuse of the SensorTags as a starting point for your own designs
- A Wi-Fi®demo-version of the SensorTag will be introduced soon
“Key to helping customers derive value from the Internet of Things is simplifying the connection of IoT devices to business applications. The new SimpleLink SensorTag from TI with their rapid connection to IBM Bluemix and Internet of Things Foundation is a big step forward in enabling this and allows customers to rapidly drive business benefits from IoT projects,” said Jack Desjardins, VP Ecosystem Alliances, IBM Internet of Things.
On top of cloud connectivity, the new SensorTag ecosystem makes development even easier than before. The SensorTag kits come with ready-to-use protocol stacks, free Code Composer Studio™ integrated development environment (IDE) license, online training and 24/7 online TI E2E™ community support. In addition, TI’s cloud-based software development tools provide instant access to examples, documentation,software and even an integrated development environment (IDE) all from the convenience of the web.
Support for multiple wireless connectivity standards
Expanding the standards supported by the SensorTag, there will be two different development kit versions:
- Themulti-standard SensorTag, based on the SimpleLink ultra-low power CC2650 wireless MCU, supports development for Bluetooth Smart, 6LoWPAN and ZigBee. This SensorTag has a unique feature that allows developers to change between different 2.4 GHz technologies by simply loading new software images directly from the SensorTag app over-the-air. When the SensorTag is used as a ZigBee and 6LoWPAN device, it connects to the cloud through a low-cost BeagleBone Black gateway. For Bluetooth Smart development, it connects to the cloud via a smartphone.
- The Wi-Fi SensorTag will allow users to demo the SimpleLinkCC3200 wireless MCU. Further details and availability information will be coming soon. Start developing today with the CC3200 solution with these development tools.
Both SensorTags come with 10 integrated low-power sensors including the TI OPT3001 precision ambient light sensor, TI HDC1000 integrated humidity and temperature sensor and TI TMP007contactless IR thermopile sensor. Additional sensors include a 9-axis motion sensor (gyroscope, compass and accelerometer), altimeter/ pressure sensor, digital microphone and magnet sensor.
SimpleLink SensorTag DevPacks
New to the next-generation CC2650 SensorTag is the ability for developers to customize their kit to fit their design with new DevPack plug-in modules. DevPacks available today include:
- The $15Debug DevPack is based on the TM4C1294 microcontroller (MCU) to add debug capabilities to the SensorTag. Plug it into the DevPack expansion header and debug the SensorTag with Code Composer Studio IDE, TI Cloud Tools, or IAR embedded workbench for ARM®.
- The Display (watch) DevPackadds a 1.35 inch ultra-low power graphical display to the SensorTag. The Watch DevPack is designed for development of smartwatches, refrigerator displays and any other application that has a need for a remote display.
- TheLED Audio DevPack consists of four high power multi-color LEDs and a 4W audio amplifier powered by a micro-USB for home automation and smart lighting applications.
- Create your own! If developers cannot find a specific DevPack to fit their needs, they can create their own by downloading theBuild Your Own DevPack guide.
Pricing and availability
The new SimpleLink multi-standard CC2650 SensorTag (CC2650STK) is available now for $29 on the TI Store and through TI authorized distributors. Related software for each connectivity standard is also available:
The SimpleLink SensorTag DevPacks are also available on the TI Store and through TI authorized distributors:
- Debug DevPack (CC-DEVPACK-DEBUG) for $15
- Display DevPack (DEVPACK-WATCH) for $19
- LED Audio DevPack (DEVPACK-LED-AUDIO) for $19
Pricing and availability for the SimpleLink Wi-Fi CC3200 SensorTag will be coming later in 2015.
TI’s SimpleLink wireless connectivity portfolio
TI’s SimpleLink portfolio of low and ultra-low power wireless connectivity solutions – wireless MCUs and wireless network processors (WNPs) for the broad embedded market – makes it easier to develop and connect anything to the Internet of Things (IoT). Spanning over 14 standards and technologies including Bluetooth® Smart, Wi-Fi®, Sub-1 GHz, 6LoWPAN, ZigBee® and more, SimpleLink products help manufacturers easily add wireless connectivity to anything, to any design, for anyone. www.ti.com/simplelink.