With the country-wide lockdown for reducing COVID-19 cases, many are now struggling with their productivity at home. Home Desktops or Laptops that were neglected for ages are now being used and overused every day. While some are gaming on it for days together, others are on edge with Work from Home workloads.
A lot of first time Work from home users are interested in upgrading their systems with limited budgets – Desktops & laptops. Also, recently there was a surge to buy new laptops. But not everyone was prepared to afford them.
How to improve productivity and Without buying a new system.
Why is my PC suddenly so slow?
Here are some primary solutions that can be done right away during the lockdown from the comfort of your homes.
1. Use the Disk Clean-Up for getting rid of Temp files
2. The disk can be full of the backups you took on your last working day. Manually Free some space first from the OS drive & keep backups on an external drive.
3. You might have too many internet intensive apps working, which your home internet is struggling to manage. You might have to work with One software at a time.
Quick Tip: You can check which applications are using higher RAM or Processor by opening Task Manager on Windows and clicking on Performance Tab. or Open Activity Monitor app on your Mac.
4. If you are working with remote access, that’s an additional load on the home internet. Also, you might want to get all accesses from the server admin for better bandwidth.
I tried all these already, it doesn’t help. My PC still cannot manage the heavy files & Office software. This is the last minute and low on Budget. Do I really HAVE to get a new PC/ Laptop ??
The following are some solutions that can be researched in the lockdown, ordered soon as it is lifted.
If the bottleneck is in the hardware, there’s still no need to upgrade the entire system. Start with the low-cost ones – the RAM.
The shortage of Memory (RAM) capacity limits the performance. Upgrading the frequency or adding more RAM, can reduce system lags AND make softwares more responsive.
Here’s how to Find one:
For ages, Kingston Technology has built an automated Memory Search feature on its website. This is the easiest part – to find a compatible memory for your system.
Kingston has Two Memory (RAM) Product Lines,
1st option is the ‘Kingston Value RAM’ (KVR)
This has standard specifications and works with most OEM PCs & Laptops sold today.
You can use this if you don’t remember your PC’s or motherboard’s model number. Simply surf through Kingston’s ValueRam page with your requirement and the search results will give multiple options to choose from.
Example: You just want to upgrade to a 16GB DDR4 RAM, you search for a 16GB Kingston ValueRAM and choose any options from it.
2nd option is the ‘Kingston System-Specific’ memory (Recommended)
- This system RAM is designed, manufactured, tested and guaranteed to work with your specific system.
- You will select this, if you know the motherboard or laptop model number and decide better on upgrades. Simply use the Kingston Memory Search Feature by entering details and you’ll get multiple Memory (RAM) options to choose from. These are already tested to work with your specific System.
Example: You have an MSI GL62M 7RDX Gaming Laptop, Kingston’s Memory Search feature will give you all RAM & SSD options that are tested to work with this laptop.
I’ve done extensive reviews 50+ products from Kingston and HyperX, and I don’t mind recommending them as our primary choice for high-performance PC the highlights of their product line up will impress you and
- All Kingston Memory (RAM) has a Lifetime Warranty and
- Kingston has a FREE Technical Support option for you via email, even before purchasing anything.
Want to learn more? – Here is quick video guide on DIY Hardware Upgrades to Speed Up Computer