Monrovia, Liberia & Mumbai, Maharashtra, India:
Merck Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Merck KGaA Germany announced the call for applications for medical training scholarships for healthcare providers in critical and underserved specialities for medical graduates from Africa and developing countries.
Senator, Dr. Rasha Kelej, CEO of Merck Foundation explained, “We strongly believe that building professional healthcare capacity and train healthcare providers is the right strategy to transform patient care in the public sector in Africa and developing countries. I am happy to announce the call for applications for scholarships for young local doctors in many critical underserved medical specialties. Our aim is to provide access to quality and equitable healthcare solutions by building professional capacity. I feel beyond proud that more than 1200 doctors from 44 countries have already benefitted from Merck Foundation scholarships in various critical and underserved fields such as Oncology, Diabetes, Preventative Cardiovascular Medicine, Endocrinology, Sexual and Reproductive Medicine, Acute Medicine, Respiratory Medicine, Embryology & Fertility specialty, Rheumatology, Gastroenterology, Dermatology, Psychiatry, Emergency and Resuscitation Medicine, Critical Care, Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Neonatal Medicine, Advanced Surgical Practice, Pain Management, Urology, General Surgery, Clinical Microbiology and infectious diseases, Ophthalmology, Internal Medicine, Trauma & Orthopedics, Neuroimaging for research Biotechnology in ART and more.”
Merck Foundation has announced Call for Applications for the following online courses:
|No.||Degree and Duration||Online Course Name|
|1||PG Diploma (1 year)||Diabetes|
|2||PG Diploma (1 Year)||Preventative Cardiovascular Medicine|
|3||PG Diploma (1 Year)||Sexual and Reproductive Medicine|
|4||PG Diploma (1 Year)||Endocrinology|
|5||PG Diploma (1 Year)||Respiratory Medicine|
|6||PG Diploma (1 Year)||Acute Medicine|
|7||PG Diploma (1 Year)||Rheumatology|
|8||PG Diploma (1 Year)||Gastroenterology|
|9||PG Diploma (1 Year)||Dermatology in Clinical Practice|
|10||PG Diploma (1 Year)||Clinical Psychiatry|
|11||MSc (15 Months)||Biotechnology of Human Assisted Reproduction and Embryology|
|12||PG Diploma (18 months)||Cancer and Clinical Oncology|
|13||PG Diploma (18 months)||Endocrinology and Diabetes|
|14||PG Diploma (21 months)||Emergency and Resuscitation Medicine|
|15||PG Diploma (21 Months)||Laparoscopic Surgical Skills|
|16||MSc (3 years)||Psychiatry|
|17||MSc (2 years)||Critical Care|
|18||MSc (2 years)||Advanced Surgical Practice|
|19||PG Diploma (2 years)||Neonatal Medicine|
|20||MSc (2 years)||Pain Management|
|21||PG Diploma (2 years)||Pediatric Emergency Medicine|
|22||ChM (Urology) (2 Years)||Urology|
|23||ChM (General Surgery) (2 Years)||General Surgery|
|24||ChM (Trauma and Orthopedics) (2 years)||Trauma and orthopedics|
|25||PG Diploma (2 Years)||Clinical Microbiology and infectious diseases|
|26||PG Diploma (2 years)||Primary Care Ophthalmology|
|27||PG Diploma (2 Years)||Internal Medicine|
|28||MSc (3 Years)||Neuroimaging for Research|
How to Apply:
Last Date to apply:
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
- All Merck Foundation scholarships are provided to nationals of African Countries, Developing countries, and underserved communities as per the World Human Development Index list of Developing countries. Refer to the link: http://hdr.undp.org/en/content/latest-human-development-index-ranking
- Merck Foundation Scientific Committee and Scientific Committee of Academic Partners will focus on African countries with a special focus on French-speaking and Portuguese speaking and SIDS (Small Islands Developing State), with the aim to build healthcare capacity and transform patient care in the public sector which is under pressure due to its limited resources. Therefore, requests from Ministries of Health (MOH) or Medical Societies are preferable. In case of individual requests, a recommendation letter from MOH or Medical Societies of these countries will be required to indicate your country’s gap in the specific specialty and the objective of improving access to equitable and quality patient care in your community is identified and fulfilled.
- Moreover, Merck Foundation Scientific Committee will take into consideration in the selection process the following factors when it is needed: The Human Development Index, Population and number of eligible applications received from each country, and number of scholarships that have been already provided to each country in such specialties.
- Moreover, Merck Foundation plans to offer English courses to candidates applied from French and Portuguese speaking African countries and also to Latin American countries, to give them an equal opportunity to benefit from the online specialty training which is provided only in English (List of Online courses given above).
- In case of in-campus Clinical Training Scholarship provided in India, such as Fertility and Embryology Training and Oncology Fellowship, interpreters will be provided to non-English speaking scholars throughout their training program.
- Ministries of Health and Medical Societies of African and Developing countries can submit requests to: [email protected]
Merck Foundation may require a Financial statement to prove the monthly income – One-month Salary/ Payslip or Salary Statement or 3 months Bank statement, for official purposes.
Click on the link below to Download Merck Foundation App
Join the conversation on our social media platforms below and let your voice be heard
The Merck Foundation, established in 2017, is the philanthropic arm of Merck KGaA Germany, aims to improve the health and wellbeing of people and advance their lives through science and technology. Our efforts are primarily focused on improving access to quality & equitable healthcare solutions in underserved communities, building healthcare and scientific research capacity and empowering people in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) with a special focus on women and youth. All Merck Foundation press releases are distributed by e-mail at the same time they become available on the Merck Foundation Website. Please visit www.merck-foundation.com to read more. To know more, reach out to our social media: Merck Foundation; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Flickr
Click here for Media Contact Details
Mehak Handa (Community Awareness Program Manager), Merck Foundation, [email protected], +91-9310087613/ +91-9319606669