The Pink Ribbon Turns 25: The Estée Lauder Companies’ Breast Cancer Campaign Reaches 25 Year Milestone
The Estée Lauder Companies honors the 25th Anniversary of The Breast Cancer Campaign (formerly known as The Breast Cancer Awareness Campaign) and the co-creation of the iconic pink ribbon by its visionary founder, the late Evelyn H. Lauder.
This Smart News Release features multimedia. View the full release here: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170928005489/en/
The 2017 Estée Lauder Companies’ Breast Cancer Campaign ad visual (Graphic: Business Wire)
25 years ago there was no pink ribbon. Women around the world were dying from breast cancer and there was very little discussion about it. Mrs. Lauder saw an urgent need to bring breast cancer to the forefront and put a spotlight on this world health issue. In 1992, she became a pioneer for the breast cancer movement, co-creating the pink ribbon and launching The Estée Lauder Companies’ Breast Cancer Campaign (The Campaign). A year later, she founded the Breast Cancer Research Foundation® (BCRF), a non-profit organization, to generate funding solely dedicated to breast cancer research. Today, the pink ribbon is the ubiquitous symbol of breast health and The Campaign is a global leading voice for breast cancer, igniting a worldwide movement that has funded innovative research and awareness, and inspired meaningful action.
To mark the 25th Anniversary, The Estée Lauder Companies has a new mission: to create a breast cancer-free world. A bold, thought-provoking visual of a tattered pink ribbon is being introduced, showing the wear and tear of 25 years of hard work, dedication and impact trying to cure this disease. It also represents the hope that in 25 years, there will be no need for a pink ribbon; breast cancer will be committed to the history books. The Campaign no longer carries the word “Awareness” as breast cancer now has the global spotlight it deserves, moving into the future with a new rally – it’s time to end breast cancer.
The Campaign is now active in more than 70 countries around the world, partnering with more than 60 regional organizations to address areas of most critical need. The Campaign has raised more than $70 million to support global research, education and medical services, funding 225 medical research grants through BCRF ($56 million from total funds raised). To date:
- Breast cancer mortality rates have decreased by 38% since the late 1980s.1
- Five-year survival rates are better than 90% when breast cancer is found early2
- Treatments are being customized to a person’s type of breast cancer, as breast cancer was revealed to be not one disease, but several different types
- Surgery is not as invasive, and most women can have a lumpectomy and not a full breast removal (mastectomy)
William P. Lauder, Executive Chairman of The Estée Lauder Companies Inc., continues to honor the legacy of his late mother and proudly champions The Campaign’s work worldwide stating, “Supporting the development of critical research, driving awareness, and helping to eliminate the cultural barriers that can prevent the identification and treatment of breast cancer has been our core Company focus since my mother Evelyn H. Lauder founded The Breast Cancer Campaign 25 years ago. I am continuously humbled and energized by the passion and care exhibited by our employees and the tireless dedication of our partners—whose work is getting us closer to a global cure each and every day. As a Company, our commitment has not and will not waver.”
The Campaign unites partners and influencers worldwide, demonstrating the power of taking action together and inspiring others to make a difference. “Throughout my travels as Global Ambassador for The Estée Lauder Companies’ Breast Cancer Campaign, I’ve seen the hope that advancing breast cancer research is bringing,” said Elizabeth Hurley, Global Ambassador for The Breast Cancer Campaign. “I’ve seen first-hand the strength of those fighting breast cancer and the strength of friends and family who are supporting them in their fight, and I truly believe that together we can help turn the corner and bring breast cancer to an end.”
The Estée Lauder Companies is launching global efforts to support The Campaign:
- Largest-ever one-year commitment of $8 million in financial contributions
- A social fundraising effort, in which The Estée Lauder Companies will donate $25 to fund a half-hour of breast cancer research through BCRF for every unique post on Instagram or Twitter with both #PinkRibbon25 and #ELCdonates between September 15, 2017 and October 31, 2017, with the goal of funding a maximum of 500 research hours
- Illumination of buildings, monuments and landmarks worldwide in glowing pink lights to raise awareness of breast health – including the Empire State Building, New York City and the Eiffel Tower, Paris
- Release of a documentary short film, “Unraveling the Pink Ribbon: Creating a Breast Cancer-Free World,” directed by Sophy Holland, honoring Mrs. Lauder and highlighting progress made
- Distribution of informational brochures and pink ribbons at The Estée Lauder Companies’ beauty brand counters worldwide
“The Estée Lauder Companies has long been committed to making an impact on communities around the world, and our efforts through The Breast Cancer Campaign are a reflection of that purpose,” said Fabrizio Freda, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Estée Lauder Companies Inc. “The awareness we’ve brought to the movement brings us great pride, and fuels the next – and what we hope to be the last – stage of The Campaign: ending breast cancer.”
The following brands of The Estée Lauder Companies will support The Campaign’s mission: Aveda, Bobbi Brown, Bumble and bumble, Clinique, Darphin, DKNY, Donna Karan, Estée Lauder, Jo Malone London, La Mer, Lab Series, Origins, Prescriptives, Smashbox, Tom Ford Beauty and Tory Burch. Each will contribute by selling Pink Ribbon Products or making donations to BCRF and/or other charitable organizations around the world. This assortment differs by country and organization.
To support the 25th Anniversary of The Estée Lauder Companies’ Breast Cancer Campaign, visit bcacampaign.com, follow on social media @bcacampaign and use #PinkRibbon25.
ABOUT THE ESTÉE LAUDER COMPANIES INC.
The Estée Lauder Companies Inc. is one of the world’s leading manufacturers and marketers of quality skin care, makeup, fragrance and hair care products. The Company’s products are sold in over 150 countries and territories under brand names including: Estée Lauder, Aramis, Clinique, Prescriptives, Lab Series, Origins, Tommy Hilfiger, M·A·C, Kiton, La Mer, Bobbi Brown, Donna Karan New York, DKNY, Aveda, Jo Malone London, Bumble and bumble, Michael Kors, Darphin, Tom Ford, Smashbox, Ermenegildo Zegna, AERIN, Tory Burch, RODIN olio lusso, Le Labo, Editions de Parfums Frédéric Malle, GLAMGLOW, By Kilian, BECCA and Too Faced.
1. Source: American Cancer Society Cancer Facts and Figures 2017 (https://www.cancer.org/research/cancer-facts-statistics/all-cancer-facts-figures/cancer-facts-figures-2017.html)
2. Source: American Cancer Society Understanding Breast Cancer Survival Rates (https://www.cancer.org/cancer/breast-cancer/understanding-a-breast-cancer-diagnosis/breast-cancer-survival-rates.html)
MULTIMEDIA AVAILABLE :